Sniffy is aiming to locate your wayward pets with implanted chip and GPS so pet owners can track and find their pets on their own. However, in addition to location an navigation, there are other tools owners can not discard such as:
- How does it define pets "leaving safe area"?
- How to send alert and provide extra help with pets are moving too fast?
- How should these functions collaborating with each other so that the owner has ultimate confidence about being informed of their pets' location and condition?
I sat down with 10 pet owners, some has lost a pet before and some has not. While they are all very interested about this idea of tracking, some specific needs and concerns are also exposed during the conversation.
Based on user research and competitive analysis, I summarized the key feature that serves the most crucial function to end user, keeping the application lean and effective.
Product Feature Diagram - Problem and Solution
Set up fence
- Allow quick and immediate reaction to start a navigation
- handy fence on/off button
- Side progress bar showing speed and graphically reflect distance between owner and pet.
- Over-speed-limit alert provide straightforward options
- Call button for emergency call at anytime.
Safety （Virtual Fence）
- Location history in chronicle order for each pet, presented through tab list, each tab leads to visualization of location point.
- Safety fence is divided into HOME FENCE and TEMPORARY FENCE for permanent residency protection and temporary control for one time places
- All parameters are adjusted on one pull up panel. For temporary fences, area and time are visualized on map.
- Easy to turn on and edit
PET AND OWNER PROFILE
- Pet profile should be imported with chip number.
- User can change profile picture an color. Control fence individually for each pet in profile will be enabled after profile set up.
- Pet profiles are organized in stack card with name tab and unique color for easy search and pull-out.
- Stacked cards for owner profile record multiple owner with emergency contact.
- Clean and tidy structure allow possibility for future function - affiliation with dog walker business.
Design Challenge and Decision
Map Interface / Temp Fence
Auto Fence and Multiple Owner
According to user research, the security system should be turned on when pets get home so user do not have to constantly turning them on/off manually.
Below are situations where one pet may have multiple owners ：
- Owner at home, pet away with other people
- Owner at home, pet at home
- Pet at home, owner away
Two auto enable toggle will satisfy most situation. Owner at home, pet going out for a walk with other people (without app）is rare. The fence can be set up/ turn off manually
The safety issue of second owner is a huge concern among users. How can people ensure user on account are trustworthy.
They can be divided into two groups
- Owners who take care of pets
- People who need to keep track of pets in emergency
Secondary owner who need to take care of pets, to walk the pet, needs to register with chip # on their own app, with confirmation from primary owner
Family members can be added by primary owner to receive update of pet's emergency
As a class project, the project is not specified very clearly on some possible feature, so I was pushed to making some product manager decision base on the core task in order to create a more reasonable application. However there was a lot of fun in the process and I get to look at the product in a more comprehensive way than just designing. Here's some takeaways from this project:
- Always be user centered - Design and design process should root in the result of user research which should define the core value of the product. This is also the base of prioritizing functions and features.
- Pay attention to the laws of human interaction with screen and mobile - In visual design, where critical threshold graphic located is very important since they will affect how people react and decided. Visual design feature reduce the decision time and eliminate confusion in the using of the product.
- Do not forget content legibility - When information is more than a screen could content, it is crucial for user to be able to pick out their desired content fast, instead of lingering over the screen and having hard time to find what they want.